Sunday, April 23, 2006

Task Prayer

Remember that I always have "standing instruction" prayer request for my work which is constantly shifting in higher gears? At this stage of the projects, I'm running on afterburners (if you don't know what an afterburner is, look at the engine that propels the F-14 fighter jet. If you don't not what a fighter jet means, I can't help you...). I just need to be careful not to get burn-outs. I am aboundingly delighted that I could endure all through Christ who strengthens me (Phil 4:13).


For most of last week, work activities were stressful that I was beginning to feel very hard pressed on every side. I remember Pastor Andrew Evans once gave a sermon about task praying quite some time back in church. I was preparing for a telecon with 2 of my stakeholders who were not very happy people from the outcome of my colleague's telecon the week before. I retreated to the toilet (don't know where else to go actually) and prayed specifically on what I was going through, the outcome I needed and after that thanking God. After that prayer, I felt an uplifting sensation and a clear head as I walked out from the toilet cubicle. I thought, "Hey, this is neat! Should do this more often." I was both at peace and surprised at this manifestation. Needless to say, the telecon went on well. And I have some important deliverables this week as an outcome (hooray.....).


We are all familiar with the prayer we make during church services and Wednesday night prayer meetings. We pray for work, healing, salvation etc. I call these strategic "blanket" prayers. (Blanket because it is general in nature). We go through plenty of ordeals every day at work. This is where task praying makes the difference because it is a very specific extension of those "blanket" prayers into a particular situation where faith needs to be operationalized. Try it. It could be as simple as "Lord, let there be parking. In Jesus' name, amen!" You'll be surprised.


God is the Lord of all. He is omniscience, omnipotent, and omnipresence. He loves you and is every bit interested in your life. The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth (Psalm 145:18).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home