Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Mid-Week Musings : Learning to Wait

If I was asked to single out one big issue I struggle with, I would have said "waiting". Even when there were circumstances in my life where I actually see the value and benefits of waiting (like the nice condominium I acquired below market value after waiting for about 18 mths in search of a property), I still struggle massively with the area of patience. To some extent I'm convinced that I'm a man of action, and when I do things, I do it now, and I want to see results now. Now now now. I don't want to wait until kingdom comes. Impatience to me is like caffeine, which makes my heart pulsative. And that is unbiblical - I know it is. In the process I sometimes end up creating a mess of a probably perfect outcome with a horribly imperfect timing due to lack of patience.


I thank God that He is gracious, and He is the one who is patiently working in me, and He works things out for the good of me, because I love Him and I am called according to His purposes.


I've came across some good quotes about patience and waiting :


Lewis Smedes writes :

Waiting is our destiny as creatures who cannot by themselves bring about what they hope for,

We wait in the darkness for a flame we cannot light,We wait in fear for a happy ending we cannot write,

We wait for a not yet that feels like a not ever,Waiting is the hardest work of hope.

M. Scott Peck writes :

Delaying gratification is a process of scheduling the pain and pleasure of life in such a way as to enhance the pleasure by meeting and experiencing the pain first and getting it over with. It is the only decent way to live.

Daniel Goleman writes :

At the heart of emotional intelligence is the ability to delay gratification and not live at the mercy of impulse.

1 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Blogger AsuoOnline said...

thanks it really helps

http://derrickokrah.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home