Monday, December 04, 2006

Peace

Since the earliest recorded human history, less than 8% of the time the world, as a whole, experience peace. More than 8000 peace treaties were signed during that period and most of them were broken. It is an interesting piece of statistics. Today, with the going-ons of war on terrorism and the tension in the Middle East, the outlook does not seem to get any better. That is at the macro level.

At the micro level, in our individual lives, how many times did we catch ourselves thinking "If only I had more money, I will happy...", or "If I had a BMW, I will look more successful...", or "If only I was more good-looking and more money, girls will be attracted to me..." or "If only my in-laws are not living under the same roof, I will have more peace...". All too often we had that kind of thoughts. You see, we often base our expectations of peace as a intended resultant of circumstances around us. As long as we place our peace-worth in the worldly realm, we are bound to be disappointed.

True peace comes from a personal relationship with God. Jesus is aware of our nature, and He gave us a gentle reminder in John 14:26-27 : But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. Reiterating "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives" from the lips of our Saviour, He grants us peace that passeth all understanding, peace that sustains us in the face of the snares of this world.

Rick Warren decides that life is unlike the usual metaphor of hills and valleys. That suggest that ups and downs happens one after another in series. His analogy of life is a like a railroad track. At any one time in our lives, there is always the good and the bad that co-exist together. So for those of you who thinks that all is lousy and gloomy, think again and reflect God's blessing in your life today. I'm very sure there is good to it. We have an eternal significance in His Kingdom, if we know where to place our hearts. God promises are written in Isaiah 9:6-7, 43:1-7 and John 14:1-3.

Personally (this is myself, not Pastor Ken), I have decided "rejoicing" is an attitude to be habitualized with. Rejoicing is a decision to be made, not to be an outcome of the favourable circumstances around me. Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again : Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. God is more interested in our character than our comfort, in our holiness rather than our happiness. Our job is to obey, with the goal of being Christlike, rejoicing along the way.
*Adaptation from Ps. Ken Benintendi's sermon on Peace at International Church Assembly, Hong Kong on 3-Dec 2006*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home